Monday 1 December 2014

Anatomy of the Human/Dwarf Body


An assignment that was sent to us by Steve to do as homework was to look at the human anatomy and get to grips a basic understanding of what the average character would look like in a game. The first thing that I decided to do was to look at different bones around the body, looking further in depth with them, for example, what parts they contain, how they work, etc.

The first bone that I decided to look at was the ankle bones. All the bones in our body each do something to contribute towards being a human. The ankle is just as important as any other, so I decided to look at it and study it in drawing a little more. This is one thing that even when it comes to life drawing, I never seem to get it right. I felt the practice in the shape and flow of the actual bone has helped me a fair amount, now I can use this practice and incorporate it into my drawings.

The next bone I looked at was the epiphyseal bone. This is one that is not well known by most people but again, I think that it is quite important. This bone sits just above the knee and connects the hip joint by a socket. Compared to the ankle drawing, this one was a lot simpler, this is because I wanted to start drawing muscle and see the results. Honestly though, this bone seems a little bit too simple for me, so next time I try, I will probably go a little more advanced as done with the previous bone, though the practice doesn't hurt.

My warm up drawings.
My next task was to draw the full human body is skeletal form. Now as I had done a fair bit of human anatomy already, I wanted to put my own twist of originality on it. Seeing as last week we were a quick couple of sketches on Dwarfs, I decided to continue the theme and pursued this option. The way that I went about this was that I looked at the skeletal structure of a human and thought to myself " a dwarf is essentially a shrunk down human, with all the body parts being in proportion". so by making minor changes in certain areas of the photo, I managed to get a decent result, looking like an skeleton that would belong to a king under a mountain.

My finished Dwarf Anatomy.
I am actually really pleased with how this turned out in the end, when I first went into this assignment, I was worried with what the finished result will look like, but now, I can safely say that It did turn out quite good.

I can see that over the past few months that my drawing skills have improved quite a bit. I have only been on this course for 3 months now, but I'm thoroughly looking forward as to what will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment