Tuesday 4 November 2014

Gas Pump in Maya


We were tasked with following another Lynda.com tutorial. This was quite interesting because this week, we would be texturing. This is something that I'm feeling alright about, The making section of the Gas Pump should be easy enough, it's just past that stage that I'm not feeling too confident about.

I started off with a square, from here I would select the vertex's on the bottom and arrange them into the position that I wanted. I would then extrude this shape and add couple of subdivisions to the top of the pump. By doing this, I could smooth the top over to make it look rounded.

The next thing that I did was select the edges in the middle again moving them and the vertex's into the position that I want. The next thing that I was going to do is extrude those select faces and and push them in a tiny bit, then I had the model of what my gas pump what look like.

We are going to plain map the Gas pump.


Now I have decided that I will smooth the edges, making this as realistic looking as possible, the next thing that I had to do was to plain map the gas pump. This was simple enough, all I had to do was select the faces that I wanted and select plain mapping.

The model was now ready for me to place the texture on top of. So when I tried to place this I got no result. Confused I reset my gas pump on Maya, hoping, I could get this working. After several attempts, I came across nothing, even when I searched the internet. I ended up with this as my final design, which extremely frustrated me.

Me attempting to texture the pump.
I was happy in the way of modeling, that game out really nicely and I'm sure that if I got the texture on it, it would look fantastic, but the simple part of the matter was that I didn't manage it.

I did enjoy it, but I will try and ask why tutor why this didn't work and what I can do to improve it, after all, that's how we learn.


No comments:

Post a Comment