Friday 11 September 2015

Summer Project (Creating a Cyborg) - Concept Stage


The aim of the project was to create a cyborg character based on everything that we had learned this year. The first thing that we had to do was to go through the concept stage of creating several different ideas and picking out the aspects that we liked the most. I started of this stage by creating six different silhouettes. We had learnt about silhouettes a while  ago and was keen to improve upon what I felt was a nightmare.

I started off by doing some research, looking into key cyborgs and seeing what are their main characteristics.

The definition of a cyborg is a cyber organism, which creates a combination of the word. The idea is that it is a being that has parts electrical parts that do not belong to it helping the character in some aspect. I decided that I would find and draw some famous examples to prepare for the project.

"Cyborg"
Cyborg is a character that appears in the "Teen Titians" comic book and show. He is widely admired by comic book fans. Noticing his appearance is key when developing a decent looking cyborg. All of the abnormalities on his body all look very similar and work well as its separates the character from the implants that are helping him.

'Darth Vader'
Another famous Cyborg is Darth Vader. He is a character widely known in the Star Wars universe as being the main antagonist. Although he has not many features on the outside of the character which make you believe he is a cyborg, its the inside where he has many robotic replicas to help him.


Once I had the silhouettes drawn the next plan was to adding different shades of grey in order to get an idea of what the character will look like. These are the results that I came up with.

Three characters in one image.

A Zombie Cyborg.
I first started off with a zombie styled cyborg, I gave the silhouette big arms and this was the pose that i felt most comfortable with. I was really happy with the muscles ripping effect that I got on the skin and would defiantly use this technique more often. This leans more to the direction of us being a slave to technology, we wont go without it.

A CCTV Cyborg.
I was massively inspired by the street artist Banksy for this piece. I have also been under the notion that we were one nation under CCTV, so what happens when you run out of space to put cameras? you put them in people.

A Dancing Cyborg.
Here I wanted to use what I had learnt in life drawing and apply to a character. I started to draw the female figure and really liked the way that it was coming out, so I continued to draw until I had reached the legs. I was particularly happy with how the face had come out, as that was something that had always plagued me.

Another Three Characters in a second image.

A Samurai Cyborg.
Another thing that I had struggled with was fabrics on a character, so I thought that I would get some practice in and designed this character. I really liked the idea of steam punk Japan, much like that of the T.V show Samurai Jack. In the end this character came out very well. You can already see the improvement I have from the first picture, to this picture.
A Ceremonial Cyborg.
 Still on the idea of a Steam Punk Japan, I tried to draw a new character. With this one though, I tried to go with a more armored idea, plus his cybernetics are more visible than that of the previous character. I'm quite proud of this piece because of the amount of detail that has gone in.
A Post-Apocalyptic Cyborg.
My last character that I drew was a Post-Apocalyptic Cyborg. I wanted to practice with coats, something that I wasn't particularly great at, but I must say, the end result was something I have never done before. So Far during this task, my skills in drawing, have come a far way. I f I can just continue to keep this mentality, Then I'm sure that the final design will be a great one.

I now need to choose a design that I'm happy with and begin to model it in Maya.

No comments:

Post a Comment