Sunday 17 April 2016

Games Production - Creating Materials in Quixel


I created two separate materials that will go into the final project, these will be applied to some of the assets that I created to be scattered around the game. By creating these as their own materials, instead of applying it to just a Colour I.D map, then it saves us a few maps, which will work out better in the long term.

Red Plastic


Albedo Map.

Normal Map.

Specular Gloss Map.
This is a red scratched texture that I created. I was quite happy with the way that it turned out. This material would be applied to not only the button and base of the fire extinguisher, it will also be applied to the static trays that feature on the table.


Tarpooling 



Albedo Map.

Normal Map.

Specular Gloss Map.
This is aimed at one asset in particular, the tarpooling. It is literally the only material that we needed for it, as it is a direct reference from it. The normal map here does the majority of the work and gives us a fantastic result. When applied onto the assets, it looks like a real life image thanks to the texture that Quixel have created.

I also created a thick plastic texture, but I refuse to take any credit for it, as Ben Matthews, our other environment artist, had done the majority of the work, where as I only took this texture and altered it to fit my models. 

These materials will end up in the project, where they can easily be dragged onto an asset and then the material will do what it needs to do. I have used Quixel to generate the maps, from a list of pre-sets that they have provided, which was extremely helpful. If we had more tiem, I would create my own maps, using images and X-normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment