Sunday 17 April 2016

Games Production - Taking the Props into Quixel


As for the gun, the assets will have their own texture sheet, but as mentioned before, these maps would be a selection of assets and the same material will be applied to those assets, but hailing different results each time. This is a way of saving us texture sheets toward the final limitations of the game.

I first started off by creating the colour map, as mentioned several posts before. This was so Quixel could identify what material was going to be applied to certain parts of the asset. This again, was generated using the renderer "Turtle".  Once the scene has all been set Up in Quixel, all I had to do was right click and select the part of the mesh that I wanted to be textured.

The Maps
The Albedo Map.

The Normal Map.

The Specular Gloss Map.
Finished Props

After identifying the meshes using the Colour ID's, I ended up with some great result, the map and finished models tell. Here are a selection of all the props that I managed to create using a combination of Maya and Quixel. These are the final assets, which will be placed directly into our game.

The Wet Floor Sign.
This wet floor sign uses a dirty yellow plastic. I decided taht it would be best if I were to apply, on the Albedo map, a stick man slipping and a caution sign. This maps the sign feel more realistic and can do no harm to our game.

The Stool.

The Closed Folder.

The Documents.
Here I created text and a box which read "Private and Confidential". This was great in constructing a bit of atmosphere and backing up the fact that the facility that you are stationed in, is indeed a research and development facility. I again placed this onto the Albedo layer to place this onto the texture.

The Propane Tank.

The Propane Tank with Hazard.

The hazard sign was taken off of the internet, I made a few adjustments to the sign itself to get it to work well on the propane tank that I had made. I am fairly happy with the result and it works well with the other textures.

The Grenade.
Now that I had created all my maps, it was now time to take them into Unity and place them as materials. This meant that all the maps needed to be saved as Targas so they could apply. It was simply saving them as a .tga which gave me what I wanted. 

I was extremely happy with the way that these textures turned out and if they are a fraction of what they look like in Quixel then I would be happy with the end result.

No comments:

Post a Comment