Sunday 17 April 2016

Games Production - Placing the Gun and Props into Unity


I had created the Gun in Maya and had textured in in Quixel. The next task was to get it put into Unity. As this was a key component in the game play, our Game Designer felt that it was best left to him, when it came to placing the gun, though he did show me the process in which he took, so that when it came to placing the smaller assets and attaching a texture to them, I would have no problem.

The Gun in Unity.
He had position the gun to where he wanted in the scene, this was after he had made the gun a prefab. This was needed to make the gun run at a decent pace and have no problems behind it.

Creating A Material and Placing it on the Gun.
He created a new material, in which he added in all the maps that I had baked. The shader needed to be a Specular set-up to include the Specular map. It was an extremely simple task, so I felt that when it was my time to put the materials on the assets, I had a great chance in succeeding.

Creating a Prefab for the Assets.
For the assets to go into the game smoothly, I would have to create a prefab for them, which also means that when they are pplace in the scene, on change to them will cause all of them to change. When coming to texturing, this is a good result, as I dont have apply the material to every single model.

I started off by creating an empty game object. Then in side the props folder, I created a new prefab. I then dragged this empty game object into the prefab, then the asset that I wanted the prefab of, I dragged it into the empty game object in the scene. Which location was set to 0,0, 0. This created the prefab of the model that we wanted.

The Assets in Unity.
I repeated the process in which George, our game designer had showed me, by creating a material on the prefab. I then located the maps which I had created in Quixel, and applied each map to their designated area. The maps had been colour I.D previously, so when it came to applying this same material to different object, we would get different results.

Applying the Map to the Assets.
I feel that in Unity, the assets are looking very nice, the only thing is now to see how they affect game play and whether they will still look nice after all the light maps have been baked. But as of so far, I am happy with the way that they have turned out. It was also an interesting way of taking this into Unity and still getting a good looking texture.


No comments:

Post a Comment