Monday 20 October 2014

Futuristic Weapons Concept


As a homework assignment for Steve, we had to go away and create a piece of concept art. We would have to go away and research futuristic weapons, create a mood board, come up with several designs, then take our final one into Photoshop and touch it up.

I was quite excited for this task as I do spend a lot of my spare time drawing weapons. Its become an odd hobby of mine which I enjoy. I already had several ideas but first I had to come up with a mood board.

My mood board.
As you can see, in this department I am heavily inspired by movies. Several that appear there are Phasers from Star Trek, Blasters from Star Wars and the machine gun from Avatar. I think a collected a good amount of weapons. I also wanted to get as many different types/appearances of guns as possible, which again, I feel I filled this criteria.

Future GUNS mind map.
I then went on to create a mind map looking into common guns that were found in video games and in movies. By having them all lined up together I could see what common element that they had and what made these ones unique to others.

What makes a good Sci Fi weapon?
As I was researching into common future arms feats, I came across a page on the internet which counted down on the top ten weapons from Sci Fi movies. This was exactly what I needed, It helped showed me what fans of the genre appreciated the most about these classic pieces of weaponry. 

I stuck segments of this into my book and started to pull apart what the text was telling me, like what made these weapons so great in the first place.


Favorite weapons part 1.

Favorite weapons part 2.
As you can see from above, the next stage that I went to was to choose my favorite weapons from sci fi and real time and decide what parts of the gun are required and what makes a gun unique. I came up with many different results in which all of them are located in my sketch book.

Design page 1.
Design page 2.
I did go a bit full blown when it came to designing the weapons. This was because I really did enjoy drawing and coming up with the different ideas. It also gave me more variety when it came to putting my piece in Photoshop, I had more of a choice.

In the end I decided to take "Bone Marrow" into Photoshop to give it a lick of paint and to make it look more realistic.
My "Bone Marrow".

Different presentation.
This was my final design. In the end I was extremely happy with how it turned out. I put the skills that I had learned recently in Photoshop and put them to good use.

No comments:

Post a Comment