Tuesday 14 October 2014

Textures on Maya


Today's lesson involved the Star Wars Death Star turret that we made last week. We were going to add texture to it. This was a thing that I was eager to learn as I wanted to continue my progression on Maya. I did find this whole session to be rather difficult as I ended up asking our teacher Robin for help many times.

The turret has been covered.
What we had to do was to cover the base with this checkered pattern. I found this a struggle as we had to find all the different locations of the buttons that make this work. We first had to create a U.V map. Once this was done, we then had to drag the different faces of the base out of the grid that was located in.

This is what the U.V texture editor looks like.
Then from here we would cover the faces in a new material. This was simple enough to do as I had done this before on the fish project. We would use the checked pattern and make sure that this was all the same size.

Robin then proceeded to tell us next lesson, we will be working more on this. As mentioned before, I really did find this an uphill struggle, but in the end I actually did enjoy it. I'm starting to feel quite at home with Maya. Not that I have made a decision into what my future holds already, its just at the moment, im getting on better with this than I am with other parts of this course.


No comments:

Post a Comment